I took my daughter to see Battleship today. I know, a 10 year old girl that wants to see Battleship? Well not exactly, but Hunger Games was a little questionable for her. And since Rhianna is in it, we were good to go. I’m trying to geek her out. It’s starting to work a little, she’s getting into comics.
So, how would I rate it. Well, it’s no Avengers, but is anything up to that now? I liked it, even though it didn’t get good reviews. Sometimes you just watch a movie for what it is, and enjoy it without breaking it down and criticizing it. It was really fun for me. And it was actually better than I expected. My daughter feel asleep.
[SPOILERS BELOW]
You have been forewarned.
Don't go any further if you don’t want to be spoiled.
Ok, now it may have been a little cliché in the science fiction sense. Aliens come down and a hero has to defeat them. But, the way it is done keeps you watching. What do I mean, well it’s creative. Though I thought it could have been a little more…….too much criticizing, I just liked it.
How does this connect to the game? In a clever way. If you didn’t think so, just means you grew up and have no more imagination. The alien invader weakness was finally found by the way of the Battleship game. In grid style. G14, miss, I29, miss. J9, HIT!!! You’ll have to see it to find out exactly how this plays into the storyline, but it came from a Japanese tactic used as a contingency in case of a war with the US. A fictional tactic of course. But still very clever.
I really liked how they used the military. They used real Navy vets, which I thought was really cool. Some of them were looking up in age. These guys served their country proudly aboard older battle ships, and were able to portrait that once again on the big screen. I thought that was very cool and honorable. I bet they enjoyed it a lot.
All in all, it was fun. You see the aliens, but don’t really know what their plan was. Kind of peculiar though, you think their plans might be revealed in one scene, but nothing. Hmm. Go see it and have fun.
2 comments:
It's pretty much just Transformers on water, and it's not even that fun. There were occasional moments where it seemed like this flick was getting somewhere, but then it just fell apart and decided to get louder and louder. My ears were pretty much ringing by the end of that and that never happens to me at places, except for maybe concerts. Good review Wayne.
Thanks Dan. I do have to say, they should take the aliens from this movie and give them their own show with a better story.
Post a Comment